Student and Teacher Blogging Challenges

Whatever stage you’re at with blogging, there is always something new to learn. Fortunately, there is a great community of educational bloggers online and many different ways to engage in professional learning available. Even if you’re the only blogger at your school, you are not alone!

The Student Blogging Challenge and Teacher Blogging Challenge are two excellent forms of free professional development for bloggers.

Student challenge

Teacher challenge

These challenges were created by Sue Wyatt with support from Sue Waters and Ronnie Burt at Edublogs, and Anne Mirtschin.

This Venn Diagram summarises the two challenges:

(Tip: click on the image below to enlarge it)

Teacher Student Blogging Challenges Venn diagram

New Teacher and Student Blogging challenges are beginning soon, so head over to the respective websites to sign yourself or your students up.

************

My Teacher Challenge Guest Posts

Last week, I was invited to write two guest posts for the Teacher Blogging Challenge.

Even if you’re not taking part in the challenge, if you’re currently blogging with your students you may find the information useful.

POST ONE Teaching Quality Commenting

POST TWOHelping Parents Connect with Your Class Blog

student challenge guest post

Have you been involved in any of the Student or Teacher Blogging Challenges? What did you get out of them?

How do you learn about blogging?

8 Replies to “Student and Teacher Blogging Challenges”

1. Thanks for sharing this post on the two challenges. There is alway something to be learnt no matter how experienced a person is. Although I have blogged for a good number of years, I still learnt so much from those who participated in these challenges. The networking that arises from such challenges is another big highlight. I love your Venn Diagram and it is a great summary. Even if people cannot take part in the challenges, they would benefit from reading many of the posts within the challenge and of those who have responded to the challenge.

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris says: Reply

@ Anne,

You’re a great example of someone who is an expert of the area of blogging but is still always learning. What a great attitude to demonstrate to our kids – we love to learn and it never stops.

I agree, people could benefit a lot from just visiting the challenge posts. While I have never formally participated in the challenges, I often read the posts and there is always food for thought!

Thanks for your comment 🙂

Kathleen

2. Hi Kathleen,
    I read your post about helping parents connect with the class blog. This is my second year blogging. Last year I had no parents participation in the blog. I know they read it because they talked to me about how wonderful it was. This year I have a new class and new parents to initiate into the world of blogging. As per your suggestion I made an info sheet on how to comment. Fingers crossed it works!
    Thanks for all the great blogging tips!

Angie

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris says: Reply

@ Angie,

So glad the post helped. It is difficult to get parents from reading the blog to actually commenting but with a bit of effort you can encourage it. Well done on your info sheet! I’m sure the parents will love it. Let me know how it goes!

Kathleen

3. Hi Kathleen,
    Thanks for writing this post to promote learning about blogging in a connected world. I began the student blogging challenge but it was Sue Waters who suggested the teacher challenge and co-opted the rest of us to help with running it.

Getting ready today to post the first set of activities in the March 2011 student challenges.

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris says: Reply

@ Sue,

Thanks for your comment and apologies for the mistake. I applaud the effort you’ve put into both the student and teacher challenges. You’ve made such a difference to so many bloggers!

I was so glad to hear today that one of my 2010 students, Rhiannon has signed up for the student challenge. Her and her mum have really embraced blogging!

Good luck with the new challenge and let me know if you need any help,

Kathleen

4. Dear Mrs Morris,

I would like to thank you for introducing this wonderful world of blogging not only to my daughter but to me as well as her parent.

This has been a truly a wonderful opportunity for both of us, we have learned and are still willing to learn about blogging. Because of you my daugther and I have made some truly wonderful friendships like yourself ie Mrs Yollis and Mrs Lynch. I am so glad that my daughter and I are on the this wonderful blogging train together meeting other wonderful bloggers.

Thank you so much Mrs Morris.
    AA.

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris says: Reply

@ AA,

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! I am so glad you and BB have really embraced blogging. I think we have both found, the more you put in the more you get out! BB has certainly progressed so much in many different ways through blogging.

I love your enthusiasm and you’re very welcome!

Kathleen