Internet Safety Posters for Teachers, Students, and Parents

This post was updated in 2018.

The terms internet safety and cyber safety generally now fall under the umbrella term of digital citizenship. This includes things like digital reputation, etiquette, copyright, health and wellness, and more.

Digital Citizenship And Internet Safety Tips for Parents and Students

To find out more about the best approach to teaching digital citizenship, check out my post from November, 2017

I have also written a post about communicating with parents on the topics of technology use, digital citizenship and internet safety.

Both posts contain posters which you are free to display, print or share.

10 Digital Citizenship and Internet Safety tips for Parents Kathleen Morris | Primary Tech | Cyber safety online    Poster for classrooms- 10 Digital Citizenship and Internet Safety tips for students by Kathleen Morris

Tips for Teachers

There is a lot teachers need to be aware of as internet users too. The tips in this post and poster below might help.

10 Internet Use Tips for Teachers

Want To Stay Up To Date With Resources Like This?

If you’re interested in things like digital citizenship tips, you might be interested in my free monthly email newsletter. I showcase the blog posts I’ve written and also share any other useful links, tips, or resources I’ve come across.

To sign up, simply fill out the form below or click here to find the sign up form in your browser.

* indicates required

Of course, there is no pressure and you can unsubscribe at any time.

8 Comment

1. Mrs Murphy says: Reply

Dear Kathleen,

As usual, you have created clear and simple to use materials for our classrooms, school, and even home now! The tips are fantastic and the posters are simple and will be really effective I think.

In the teacher’s poster, I love your tip about teaching internet safety authentically. It has to have a place in the real world for it to make sense to students.

In the parent’s poster, my favourite tip is to remind children that not everything you read on the internet is true. We used this video and this list of fake websites recently in the classroom and we fooled MOST of the class!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfi8OEz0rA&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.180techtips.com/124.htm

My favourite tip from the student’s poster is the YAPPY acronym. I have never heard it before and I will be sharing it with my class this week!

Thanks again for great resources and thoughtful posts!
    Áine

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris says: Reply

Hi Áine,

Thanks for commenting!

I hadn’t seen those resources before for teaching about not believing everything you see/read. I have put them in my Diigo and will be sure to use them!

I’m glad you’ll be using YAPPY in your classroom too. We originally found it on a Garfield cartoon. You can find the link here http://4kmand4kj.global2.vic.edu.au/2012/02/08/safer-internet-day/

Kathleen

2. Hi Mrs. Morris,
    I’m Stephanie Gomillion, an EDM310 student at the University of South Alabama. I think you did a great job on the posters! My favorite tips came from the parent poster. The YAPPY tip I’ve never heard of before, that’s a pretty neat idea. The tip on not allowing children to spend all of their free time online is a super good tip!!! Lastly, not allowing children to make accounts on websites that aren’t age appropriate is another great one; I feel like some teachers forget about things like that and have their students make accounts for instagram and such.

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris says: Reply

Hi Stephanie,

Great to hear from you! YAPPY certainly is a useful acronym to use in the classroom. It is quite sad when you see a lot of children spending nearly all of their leisure time indoors on the computers. Balance is always good! I think a lot of teachers are quite unaware that many websites come with age restrictions. It’s very important that teachers are educated about this.

Hope to hear from you again and good luck with you studies.

Kathleen

3. Rosemary Hazle says: Reply

Hello! Thank you so much for posting these posters. I found them very helpful and informative! I am about to spend the remainder of the school year teaching a technology class to primary grade students and plan to use this information to help them, myself, and their parents out with their internet safety!
    Thanks for the tips!

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris says: Reply

Thanks, Rosemary. Enjoy!

Kathleen

4. Angel Wilson says: Reply

Wonderful set of guidelines for responsible Internet users. As an educator, I am always mindful of my personal behavior on social networking sites and feel it is important for all educators to follow your guidelines as well. I also agree with several others who have liked the acronym YAPPY. Did you coin this yourself, and if so, kudos! What a catchy way to remember what information not to give out. Great job with content and design of the posters, and thank you for sharing them with us.

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris says: Reply

Hi Angel,

Thank you! I didn’t make up YAPPY. I discovered it on the Professor Garfield site. Not sure if that is where it originated from but it really resonated with my students.

Kathleen