Google Doc: Incidental ICT Skills

My last post was about ICT Skills that can be taught incidentally. Ian Guest left a terrific comment with the suggestion that I make a list of these incidentals that people can contribute to.

I have started a public Google Doc spreadsheet with the “incidentals” that I suggested and others suggested in comments on the post.

This list is not complete!

What other ICT skills could we teach our students in an explicit yet incidental way?

Add your ideas to the list by clicking here.

Let’s work together to make this list a useful document for all teachers and students!

Google Doc: Incidental ICT Skills
Tagged on:                 

6 thoughts on “Google Doc: Incidental ICT Skills

• Pingback: Tweets that mention Google Doc: Incidental ICT Skills | Integrating Technology in the Primary Classroom -- Topsy.com

• September 27, 2010 at 5:47 am
    Permalink

Kathleen,

Once again, you’ve hit the nail on the head!

To limit the “learning” of all the ICT skills to the computer lab is a real mistake. The idea that ICT skills can be included in everyday lessons is a good one.

Whenever we do Writers Workshop in class, I always use the computer and the projector. I used to *write* on the whiteboard, but I’ve changed my methods. Teaching writing by using Word and a projector offers so many more learning opportunities. For one, it demonstrates to children the power of word processing. Editing is easy…no arrows drawn to other areas of a paper leaving some writers with a messy rough draft that is difficult to read. Teach copy/paste! Plus, there is a built in grammar/spell checker to alert the writer to errors.

Not only am I teaching a writing lesson, but I am modeling a 21st century writing tool for my students. Throughout the lesson there are ITC skills being taught. Using a header, indentation, formatting, font choices and colors, control-click spelling…

I also notice that the students seem much more engaged with the writing lesson when there is technology involved. 🙂

Thanks for a great post!

~Linda

• September 27, 2010 at 2:25 pm
      Permalink

@ Linda, thanks for your comment. Using the projector to type in Writers Workshops sounds like a terrific idea. This would provide so many opportunities for incidental teaching of skills that can be taken for granted. I’ve found when it comes to programs like Word – sometimes people “don’t know what they don’t know” ie. there are better and easier ways to do things if you know how! Keep up your great work 🙂

• September 28, 2010 at 6:34 pm
    Permalink

Kathleen,

Great idea – can you post a direct link to the google doc too – can’t work out how to look at it in full screen & make additions…

Thanks,
    Sam.

• September 28, 2010 at 6:38 pm
      Permalink

@ Sam – the link is already there – above the Google Doc. Let’s know if you can’t see it. 🙂 Thanks!