Virtual Maths Manipulatives

I nearly always use my IWB (interactive whiteboard) for Maths whole-class introductions and often small group instruction.  Publisher McGraw Hill and Glencoe have a great maths resource for your IWB that is an alternative to IWB software. It is called Virtual Manipulatives.

Virtual Manipulatives is a Flash based website with interactive manipulatives that students and teachers can use to introduce or reinforce maths concepts. It is suitable for students from Kindergarten to Year Eight.

This site is very simple to use (mostly drag and drop) and requires very little preparation.

You simply choose a background from the collection of Game Boards, Story Boards or Work Mats. Work Mat options include place value mats, tens frames, graph paper, algebra tiles, in and out equation tables, blank calendars, number lines and number charts.

You can then set up or solve a problem by choosing from a set of manipulatives such as base ten blocks, counters, fraction tiles, cubes, spinners, tangrams, calendars, clocks, teddies and number cubes (dice).

You can narrow the choice of backgrounds and manipulatives to your grade level to find the most appropriate resources.

There is a pen tool to draw on the screen and completed work can be printed. There is also a stop watch feature to time the completion of tasks.

virtual manipulatives

Leave a comment. How could you use Virtual Manipulatives in your Maths lessons?

10 thoughts on “Virtual Maths Manipulatives

• @ Gail, that’s no good! Hope you get your IWB or even a projector sooner rather than later 🙂 Glad you enjoyed the site anyway. I think I’ll be using it a lot in my classroom next term.

1. This is a wonderful resource! Thanks for sharing. I’m always on the lookout for math resources to share with the teachers at my school. I’ve never seen this one.

2. Hi Kathleen, I’m a student teacher at University and this program has been so helpful throughout both my placements and my assessments. Thank you!

• Hi Meg,
      That’s wonderful to hear! Thanks for letting me know and good luck with your studies.
      Kathleen