Blogging Tool: Embedit.in

embedit.in is a site that I saved to my Delicious and Diigo accounts about a year ago but forgot about and have not yet used. I recently rediscovered this site and realised how useful it could be in blogging.

This tool allows you to embed almost any sort of file into your blog such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, HTML, web pages and other URLs.

You can embed files up to 20 MB and choose to embed the full document or add a thumbnail or link.

The site is easy to navigate and straightforward to use. On the home page, you simply click on “select files”, choose your file and then sign in with a third-party account such as Twitter, WordPress, Google or OpenID.

You can annotate files with red pen or highlighter and choose the height, width and background colour you desire.

When you upload your document you can choose whether you want to allow or disable printing, download and public visibility.

embedit.in uses the Adobe Flash 9 platform to display your document, which is apparently available on over 98% of browsers worldwide.

The site includes an analytics feature to show where your viewers are coming from and how they are interacting with your documents.

Here is an example of what an embedit.in file looks like…

I have added embedit.in to my list of Web2.0 tools to embed in your blog.

How do you see embedit.in being useful?

11 thoughts on “Blogging Tool: Embedit.in

1. Thanks for all the info on this great tool!

I found it on your list of Web 2.0 tools last week and used it on my blog for the first time yesterday. It literally took less than a minute to upload and embed 2 PDF files onto my blog!

I love easy, simple and effective Web 2.0 tools and this is certainly one of them.

• @ Kelly, thanks for the comment. I too was surprised at how quick and easy it is to use embedit.in. I’m glad you found it useful. I think we’ll both be using it a lot more in the future!

2. Pingback: Embedding media in your blog | Opening the door...